The media has already taken note of the fact that even an Oprah re-run can put books back on bestseller lists.
This was proved again this week, when You: Staying Young zoomed from a very respectable #349 to #5. What Oprah rerun aired yesterday? Yup; “Dr. Oz on Aging, How to Turn Back Time.” Library reserves shot up, too.
Last week’s rerun of a show with another Oprah regular, Dr. Christiane Northrup, sent her book The Wisdom of Menopause, up Amazon’s list to #21. The second edition of this title was released in 2006, but many libraries still own the 2001 edition. Given the number of changes in thinking about menopause, I wondered if that edition should be a candidate for withdrawal. I checked with the publisher, who provided this information on the updates:
The 2006 edition includes new information from the massive Women’s Health Initiative Study published in 2002. That study caused millions of women to abandon Prempro and other synthetic hormones. The new edition also includes information from another study released in early 2006 on the cardiovascular effects of HRT.
Other specific new features in the revised and updated edition include:
- Programs for enhancing sexuality and breast health and the reasons why sex can get better after menopause.
- Nutritional approaches to preventing osteoporosis and heart disease.
- Why maintaining a healthy insulin level is key to women’s health.
- The latest research on breast cancer and what you can do to prevent it.
- New ways to avoid hysterectomy, including innovative fibroid treatments.
- Understanding the hormone replacement controversy, how to take hormones safely, and a wealth of alternatives.
- New information on how to prevent dementia.
Rather than rely on old editions to help fill demand, it’s time to get rid of them and replace them with the new edition (the publisher says there are no immediate plans for a third edition).
The Wisdom of Menopause: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing During the Change, 2nd Edition
- Paperback: $20.00
- Publisher: Bantam; 2nd edition (October 31, 2006)
- ISBN-10: 0553384090
- ISBN-13: 978-0553384093